Brochure en français
Broschüre auf Deutsch
Opuscolo in Italiano
Brochure in het Nederlands
Брошюра на русском
Remember for two weeks
Forgot the password
Porto wants to see your photos.
This is also your space. Share your best photos in
our flickr group
and then see them here. Join in!
Further Porto areas
Museums & Heritage
Culture & Leisure
River & Sea
Visiting & Entertainment
Port Wine Cellars
Exhibition centres and Art galleries
Statues & Sculptures
Museums and Theme centres
Tourist Points of Interest
Streets & Gardens
Spas, Saunas and Thermal treatments
Theatres and Concert halls
Youth hostels and Hostels
Pousadas de Portugal
Eat & Drink
Out of hours
Rua de S. Filipe de Nery , 4050-546 Porto
This baroque work by Nicolau Nasoni was built in the first half of the eighteenth century. The Clérigos Tower is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city of Porto. The panoramic view over the city and the river Douro which can be seen from the top of the tower makes the 240 step climb worth the effort.
Felgueiras Quay and Beacon
Avenida de Dom Carlos I, 4150-190 Porto
Neoclassical lighthouse with a hexagonal format, ten meters high, dated from 1886. It has a red balcony and lantern and a small annex building with plastered walls painted white. The name "Molhe de Felgueiras" was given because it was built facing the stone of Felgueiras, to the West. It was modernised in 1945 and automated in 1979, and was controlled from a distance from the Leça lighthouse. It underwent conservation works in the 90's. Before being deactivated in 2009, the light has a range of 9 nautical miles, issuing a red light every 5 seconds. It currently only has the sound signal.
Rua das Carmelitas, 144, 4050-161 Porto
The building where the library is now located was inaugurated in 1906. Special mention goes to its beautiful Art Nouveau façade with neo-Gothic details. On the inside, the library is decorated in painted plaster imitating wood and presents a magnificent staircase linking it to the upper floor - one of the first reinforced concrete works in Porto. Also worthy of attention is the huge stained-glass skylight, bearing the library's monogram and motto: 'Decus in Labore'. In 2008, the English newspaper The Guardian considered this library the world's third most beautiful, as did the Lonely Planet in its guide "Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2011", describing it as an 'Art Nouveau gem', and particularly mentioning its 'neo-Gothic shelves' and the 'lolloping red staircase'.
Palace of Freixo
Estrada Nacional 108, 206, 4300-316 Porto
The Palace of Freixo, built in the mid 18th century, is one of the most remarkable monuments of Portuguese civil baroque designed by the architect Nasoni. The palace has a rectangular design and there are prominent turrets on the corners which are covered by slate roofs in the shape of pyramids. The interior of the palace is extremely flush. A lot of the compartments have 'frescos' and well executed stucco ceilings, some with oriental influence. Illusory painting with allegorical themes is commonly used inside the palace and was largely painted by Nasoni himself. The garden was clearly designed according to Italian tradition, with sculptures and a magnificent view over the River. It is now a Pousada de Portugal, preserving the entire façade of its buildings which were classified as a National Monument since 1910. The Pousada consists of two separate buildings that are connected: the Palace and the Harmonia Mill, both of them prepared to house large events and meetings.
S. Bento Railway Station
Praça de Almeida Garrett, 4000-069 Porto
The S. Bento Railway Station was built at the beginning of the twentieth century on the exact location of the former Convent of S. Bento de Avé-Maria. The glass and iron structure was designed by the architect Marques da Silva. The vestibule is adorned with twenty thousand tiles painted by Jorge Colaço that illustrate the transport evolution and events of Portuguese history and life.
Rua D. João de Castro, 210, 4150-417 Porto
The Casa de Serralves, the Serralves Foundation headquarters, was built in the 1930s and is one of the best examples of the Art Deco movement in Europe. Rigorously respecting Marques da Silva's project, the house hosts exhibitions and events. The house is located in the Park of Serralves, a unique landmark of Portuguese landscape, which spreads harmoniously throughout eighteen acres of magnificent gardens, a traditional farmhouse and even a wood. Created by a project by the architect Jacques Greber, the Serralves Park is one of the few Portuguese gardens built in the first half of the twentieth century. Located in the heart of Porto, Serralves brings together in one place, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Deco House and Park, as well as leisure facilities, shops and restaurants.
Stock Exchange Palace
Rua de Ferreira Borges, 4050-253 Porto
A National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842. Situated in the historical centre, it is one of the most visited monuments with the famous Arabian Room being its major highlight. A Cultural and Conference Centre, the Stock Exchange Palace is a venue with unique conditions for hosting events and excellent initiatives. The Stock Exchange Palace was one of the founders of the Historic Conference Centres of Europe. This is a network that gathers European Palaces, Monuments and Historic Buildings which are used as conference centres. Included in the Urban Wine Route. Accessible for people with reduced mobility through a side entrance.
Terreiro da Sé , 4050-573 Porto
Romanesque style construction began in the twelfth century however, it endured several changes up until the twentieth century, lessening its primitive coldness. The sacristy, cloister and the tiles that cover its galleries, as well as the chapel, are already from the Gothic period. A beautiful 13th century rosace stands out on the west front. The paintings by Nasoni, the carved gilt-wood altarpiece , and the silver altar of the Blessed Sacrament are all noteworthy.
Church of Santa Clara
Largo 1º de Dezembro, 4000-404 Porto
Building of Gothic origin whose interior was covered with golden gild in the first half of the eighteenth century. The construction dates from the first half of the fifteenth century. It went through some changes in modern times when the beautiful Renaissance portal was built. This real Baroque jewel impresses by its decorative exuberance and the pleasant combination of wooden gilt and tile.
Monument Church of S. Francisco de Assis
Rua do Infante D. Henrique , 4050-297 Porto
The city's most important Gothic temple, whose construction began in the fourteenth century. It is one of the most important works of the Baroque, by its gilded interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It is worth of notice the Tree of Jesse, as well as the catacombs. It is a National Monument since 1910.
Organise your tour
Urban Wine Route
New York Times suggests
Frequently asked questions
Suggestions and support