Brochure en français
Broschüre auf Deutsch
Opuscolo in Italiano
Brochure in het Nederlands
Брошюра на русском
Remember for two weeks
Forgot the password
Porto wants to see your photos.
This is also your space. Share your best photos in
our flickr group
and then see them here. Join in!
Further Porto areas
Museums & Heritage
Culture & Leisure
River & Sea
Visiting & Entertainment
Port Wine Cellars
Exhibition centres and Art galleries
Statues & Sculptures
Museums and Theme centres
Tourist Points of Interest
Streets & Gardens
Spas, Saunas and Thermal treatments
Theatres and Concert halls
Youth hostels and Hostels
Pousadas de Portugal
Eat & Drink
Out of hours
Alfândega Nova do Porto
Rua Nova da Alfândega- Edifício da Alfândega, 4050-430 Porto
A neoclassical building, built in the scope of the Anglo-Palladian line, in the 19th century, according to a project carried out by the engineer Jean F. G. Colson. It has two facades, one facing the Douro river and one facing the city. Note the structural solutions that resorted to the use of iron in conjunction with other materials - stone, brick or wood - depending on the functionality of the different spaces. In 1987 they decided to install, in the building, the future Museum of Transport and Communications, belonging to the Association with the same name. For this, restoration and adaptation works were carried out in accordance with the project by the architect Eduardo Souto Moura. The Association for the Museum of Transport and Communications (A.M.T.C) also offers an Exhibition and Congress Centre, spread across various areas of Customs, as well as a Training Centre.
Building of the former Gaol and Court of Appeal
Campo dos Mártires da Pátria, 4050-368 Porto
Granite building, dating from 1582, rebuilt in 1767 in neo-classical style, according to the design of the architect Eugénio dos Santos, by initiative of João de Almada e Melo and financed by Companhia Geral da Agrigultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro. It presents a geometric sequence of windows (103 on the whole). This polygonal-shaped building has 4 façades, two of which are related to its main functions: the main façade, on Rua de São Bento, allows you to enter the Court sector. The other façade, opened to the Cordoaria Garden, was formerly constructed for the direct passage of prisoners and is currently the building's main entrance. Camilo Castelo Branco, who was one of Portugal's most famous writers and was charged with adultery as well as the famous Zé do Telhado who was charged with theft were kept here. Between 1999 and 2002 the building was restored under the direction of Eduardo Souto de Moura and Humberto Vieira, to become the current Portuguese Centre for Photography, including an exhibition centre. Guided visits to the building are available. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
Entre a rua da Fonte Taurina e o Cais da Estiva ou da Alfândega Velha, 4050-243 Porto
Of the 18 doors and wickets of the D. Fernando Wall, built in the fourteenth century around the city of Porto, the Carvão (coal) wicket is the only one that survived to the present day. This wicket, situated in the vicinity of the current Praça da Ribeira, linked the Rua da Fonte Taurina to Ribeira quay, where the boats docked on the River Douro.
Casa do Infante / old Royal Custom House
Rua da Alfândega, 10, 4050-029 Porto
Building in which, according to tradition, Prince Henry, the Navigator, was born. Built in 1325 by D. Afonso IV, it was used as Royal House, Mint and Royal Customs House, operating until 1859. Today is the headquarters of Porto Historical Archives, which gather important historical documents such as the Charter Act of the City. Excavations carried out in the building discovered traces of Roman occupation, which can be seen in the museum created there. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
Praça do General Humberto Delgado, 4049-001 Porto
Construction began in 1920, but only in 1957 was it considered complete, after several interruptions and changes to the original project. The building consists of six floors, a basement and two courtyards. The top of the 70m high, central tower, with its chiming clock, can be reached by climbing its 180 steps. Consisting primarily of marble and granite, the interior of the building has some nobly furnished rooms, in which the most solemn ceremonies and the usual Municipal Assemblies and Executive meetings are held. Included in the Urban Wine Route, the Porto Municipality used from the outset the income from rates and taxes on wine to improve the city's defences, water supply, road connections to the outside and urban reforms.
Rua do Infante D. Henrique, 8, 4050-296 Porto
Designed by John Whitehead in neo-Palladian style and built between 1785 and 1790, it was meant to be used as a meeting place for the English businessmen living in Porto. On the main façade, the ground floor is made up of seven arches that give access to the colonnaded gallery. In contrast with this, the main floor is formed of high openings with verandas and pediments. A balustrade attic tops the building. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
Terreiro da Sé , 4050-573 Porto
It was probably built in the 13th century, although it might be founded on an older construction. In 1737 it was remodelled; the changes were designed by Nicolau Nasoni, according to some authors. The main façade is open by a full arch flanked by pilasters and topped by a decorated fronton. The central window has a stone balustrade and the fronton - that exceeds the entablature - reveals the coat of arms of Bishop D. Rafael de Mendonça. The lateral façades present equally framed windows with magnificent frontons.
House at no. 55, Rua da Reboleira
Rua da Reboleira , 55, 4050-492 Porto
This is one of the most interesting buildings of the civil architecture of the late Middle Ages. It is one of the biggest buildings in the area and has elements of different epochs. At basement level, with access to Rua do Outeirinho, some medieval structures that might date back to the 14th century can be seen. The Rua da Reboleira façade still maintains the ground floor gothic portals. The higher storeys were changed, probably in the 17th century, as well as the fortified surrounding ring.
House at no. 59, Rua da Reboleira
Rua da Reboleira, 59, 4050-492 Porto
This large fortified house was probably built in the 14th century. To this day, the original structure of the tower-house is practically intact.
Rua das Carmelitas, 144, 4050-161 Porto
The building where the library is now located was inaugurated in 1906. Special mention goes to its beautiful Art Nouveau façade with neo-Gothic details. On the inside, the library is decorated in painted plaster imitating wood and presents a magnificent staircase linking it to the upper floor - one of the first reinforced concrete works in Porto. Also worthy of attention is the huge stained-glass skylight, bearing the library's monogram and motto: 'Decus in Labore'. In 2008, the English newspaper The Guardian considered this library the world's third most beautiful, as did the Lonely Planet in its guide "Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2011", describing it as an 'Art Nouveau gem', and particularly mentioning its 'neo-Gothic shelves' and the 'lolloping red staircase'.
Organise your tour
Urban Wine Route
New York Times suggests
Frequently asked questions
Suggestions and support